[lbo-talk] Iraq, the left and the 'resistance' (Geras blog)

Seth Ackerman sethia at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 10 20:45:58 PST 2004

From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

> A number of attacks in Iraq have been certainly destructive, but it
> seems to me that the proportion of attacks that solely or primarily
> target civilians who occupy no political office out of the total
> number of attacks is higher in historic Palestine than in Iraq.

In Palestine, the armed factions don't target other Palestinians. That's more like Abu Nidal's style, a madman who didn't deserve support.

> More importantly, it is a mistake, on your part as well as Pilger's,
> to speak of "the existing armed resistance" as if it were a
> monolithic force who have practically identical ends and means.

Yes. There are probably sections of the resistance that don't indiscriminately target civilians and don't like it when others do. But so far they haven't spoken out, organized politically or distinguished themselves from their unscrupulous comrades. Also, these people don't solicit international solidarity, which is one reason why I wonder why anyone would offer it.

Seth