[lbo-talk] Activism

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Wed Feb 11 07:01:01 PST 2004

I'll respond in two or three parts to Chuck's posting.

Chuck Grimes wrote:

Why didn't you run again? That needs to be explained in more detail. As for learning, maybe, maybe not...

You're right-the piece should have explained this in more detail, but I think the explanation is more or less apparent, which is that there has not been a basic shift in awareness as to how effective radical politics should be organized. The contempt displayed in the previous posting at those engaging in nuts and bolts electoral politics is, as mentioned, a pretty good indication of these attitudes which are shared across a broad spectrum of what remains of "the left."

Obviously, I had no illusions that my serving would constitute a major contribution towards creating a shift in attitudes (Matt Gonzalez's campaign, as I say, was a major contribution). It did had a significant effect locally, and I have no regrets about serving for this reason. For me to justify continuing (and the very substantial investment in time and energy) would have required a greater indication that "a wall" was being built and it does not appear that it is the case. I would love to be convinced otherwise, of course.

In any case, one does what one can based on one's abilities and based on a calculation as to where these can be most effectively directed.

That one needs to think very carefully about this calculation, and that many do not, is where I agree with the Henwood-Featherstone-Parenti cadre.

Having said that, I think their calculation as to where one should exert one's energies is wrong.

I deal with your other points later today.

Best,

John