[lbo-talk] Iraq, the left and the 'resistance' (Geras blog)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 12 10:05:22 PST 2004

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>I'm asking a question because if Iraqi democrats that Justin speaks
>>of can't constitute the "forces" in the aforementioned sense
>>quickly, they are goners, whatever we say or do here.
>
>You're over three for the day, but I'll overlook that because I'm in
>a ruthlessly interrogatory mode. Say, not implausibly, that you're
>organizing an antiwar rally. Some random citizens ask you, "Well,
>what do you stand for? What should we do in Iraq?" If you answer,
>"Withdraw and let the Iraqis sort it out," it's likely they'd say,
>"That's a cop out. We wrecked their country, what should happen
>now?" How would you respond, with the credibility of the antiwar
>movement on the line?
>
>Doug

I'll ask the "random citizens": what do you think you should do? Then, listen to what they have to say and engage in conversations, provided that they are open to genuine discussion, rather than having already made up their minds on "what is to be done" and merely asking rhetorical questions, uninterested in others' thoughts. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>