[lbo-talk] Jews and Revelation

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 12 21:58:13 PST 2004

Are you sure about this? What about Fackenheim's theology of revelation? Different communities understand revelation in many different ways... I'm not sure this generalisation would hold up to careful scrutiny. All of the 'process theology' makes a case for the unfolding of revelation in everyday life... this seems to be quite popular these days, esp. in currents warm to environmental ethics or other kinds of 'spirituality.'

ken

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of andie nachgeborenen Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:02 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Jews and Revelation

Moses was the last non-Chassidic Jew to have a direct line to God. He gave us the Law, which God gave to him, and from then till now, the Chassids aside, that's what we have have had. There's no Revealed Truth beyond the Shema (which says that Adonai is the one God of Israel, and no more), there is a book of rules. Unlike Christians, for whom revelation is an important force in the hisrorical and current life of religion, it has not been for Jews, the lunatic fringe of the Chassids (and the Kabbalists) aside. Really truly! Btw I hear Madonna has become A Kabbalist, is this true, Doug?