[lbo-talk] Death of Dean

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 13:57:35 PST 2004

--- Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:
> Death of Dean
> The awesome destructive power of corporate media

> Howard Dean has joined the list of victims of U.S.
> corporate media
> consolidation. Dean shares this distinction with
> Dennis Kucinich and the
> people of the formerly sovereign state of Iraq,
> among many others.

Well, of course, I agree that the corporate media is awesome and destructive, but the Black Commentator statement implies that the media was in this case politically motivated to bring about the debacle of Dean. Up until a few weeks before Iowa he was all over the media and in a positive light; it seemed to be the Iowa Caucus that brought him down and THEN his "I have a scream" speech which provided the material for a media event. The media focused on that for a week, because it had nothing better to do. In other words, I agree that the media had something to do with the debacle of Howard Dean but it seems like it came about more because Dean gave them a spectacle than because they had a political axe to grind.

Maybe you only extracted part of the article and there was better substantiation for this claim.

-Thomas