[lbo-talk] Iraqi communists on "resistance"

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 14 10:16:00 PST 2004

Remember the Tiger cages that the South Vietnamese used to tortue NLF cadre in the 60's and 70's. That Don Luce of the anti-war movement and then congressional aide, Tom Harkin exposed?

http://www.inq7.net/nat/2003/dec/27/nat_3-1.htm
> ...Three ex-members of the Communist Party of the Philippines said the
> abductors turned out to be members of the New People's Army hunting down
> suspected military spies from Mindanao, who were believed to have
> infiltrated the underground movement. The NPA is the party's armed wing.

The abduction of Dave Barrios -- who, according to two of his ex-comrades, was an economics graduate of the University of the Philippines and member of a group in Metro Manila supporting the guerrilla war in Mindanao -- was not typical of the methods used by the NPA in arresting suspected military spies during the party's anti-infiltration campaigns in the 1980s.

Many cadres were lured by invitations to an emergency meeting, a conference, a cultural presentation, or an exposure program in a guerrilla zone, survivors of the anti-infiltration campaigns said in interviews with the Inquirer.

Once they were inside an NPA camp, they experienced the horrors of imprisonment, torture and, for some, death.

"We are arresting you in the name of the party because you're a DPA (deep- penetration agent)" was what a cadre was told by the leader of the team that arrested him in a camp in Quezon.

Survivors said prisoners were stripped of their rights, setting the stage for maltreatment. The hands and feet of the prisoners in the anti- infiltration campaigns "Operation Missing Link" (OPML) and "Kampanyang Ahos" were bound with chains secured with padlocks.

The prisoners were held in wooden "tiger" cages (4 x 6 x 6 feet) or were bound to a hut without walls in the forests of Quezon and Laguna. (In Metro Manila, suspects were made to wear blue T-shirts to mark them as prisoners of the Manila-Rizal regional committee.)