[lbo-talk] Advertisings effects (was Death of Dean)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 12:28:20 PST 2004

I see. People didn't _really_ want SUVs. They were simply brainwashed into this by advertising. (SUVs were in this respect different -- or not? from other new products. Cellphones. CD players. Computers. . . . )

As I say, there is no way, short of doing more research than I care to do here, and even thatw ould probably not satisfy you, of resolving the question of whether advertising is effective at making people want or velieve things regardless of their experiences.

But I once again note that the assumption that most people are pliable fools who do not know their wants or interests is a very common one among the educated upper middle classes. It accounts for a lot of the appeal of both Fabian-style social democracy and old-style Bolshevism. jks