[lbo-talk] Bush expected to announce candidacy any day now

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Mon Feb 16 07:27:51 PST 2004

A striking characteristic of the anti-Nader forces, typified by the subject line here, is the belief that insult is likely to be more effective than argument. One component of this strategy is to attribute all sorts of bizarre, reactionary positions to Nader- a recent post accusing him of opposing gay marriage is one instance. The chapter on globalization in Doug's book also contains similar exaggerations.

Another component is to buy into the mythology that an establishment Democrat's foreign policy is likely to be any less interventionist than that being undertaken by the Bush neo-cons, for reasons I noted in a previous posting. A Kerry administration will be different, but, as Doug pointed out, there is no basis for believing that its foreign policy will be any less aggressive and warmongering.

Having said that, there are reasonable arguments to be made against Nader's candidacy, and I have made some of them myself, to Nader's face no less. (I will share these with the list, if anyone's interested.)

In short, any serious argument against a Nader candidacy has to precede on the assumption that Nader is not an idiot, nor are those considering supporting his candidacy who you would most want to convince.

As an intellectual exercise, the anti-Nader forces might want to attempt to formulate some of these arguments yourself. Your ability to succeed in doing so will determine whether those of us considering supporting Nader write you off as just another Democratic Party hack-which many of you are, of course.

Best,

John