[lbo-talk] Bush expected to announce candidacy any day now

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 16 13:08:25 PST 2004

John Halle wrote:

>A striking characteristic of the anti-Nader forces, typified by the
>subject line here, is the belief that insult is likely to be more
>effective than argument. One component of this strategy is to
>attribute all sorts of bizarre, reactionary positions to Nader- a
>recent post accusing him of opposing gay marriage is one instance.
>The chapter on globalization in Doug's book also contains similar
>exaggerations.

Exaggerations? They were based on quotes from the man himself.

>Having said that, there are reasonable arguments to be made against
>Nader's candidacy, and I have made some of them myself, to Nader's
>face no less. (I will share these with the list, if anyone's
>interested.)

Let's hear 'em.

So Ralph's going to run as an independent. That means in this iteration, the Harold Stassen of the left won't even pretend that his candidacy is an exercise in building the Green Party, which he has rejected. One of the main reasons I voted for him in '96 and again in '00 was that, despite his flaws, it looked like an opportunity to develop a new political party in a country that desperately needs one or two. But he didn't contribute anything to that effort, and now he's rejected even the pretext. The hell with him then.

Doug