[lbo-talk] Bush expected to announce candidacy any day now

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Feb 16 10:03:19 PST 2004

(I assume that "Bush") in the subject line is a misprint for "Nader.")

If Nader runs this time, I predict that he will get far fewer votes than he did last time.

On Monday, February 16, 2004, at 08:40 AM, John Lacny quoted:

> Nader is polling volunteers from the 2000 campaign via e-mail asking
> whether he should run, but his exploratory committee already is
> examining state ballot-access requirements.
>
> According to Richard Winger of the newsletter Ballot Access News,
> Nader asked him about the difficulties of getting on ballots as an
> independent. "It's not as hard as people think," said Winger, who
> estimates that hiring firms to get the necessary 600,000 signatures
> nationwide would cost about $1.8 million.

[snip]

> The question now is whether Nader, who spent about $8 million on his
> campaign in 2000, can raise the money and attract supporters to make a
> difference in the election. So far, donors and activists from 2000
> have been scarce,

[snip]

> And he has some die-hard supporters, even among Greens. "There's an
> effort among a lot of Greens nationwide to get Nader to run," said
> Jerry Kann, a New York-based Green Party member. "He's the best
> spokesperson for our values."

There's his mighty Juggernaut: an exploratory committee, a possibility of scraping up $1.8 million to hire companies to get signatures, and some die-hard supporters. Good luck, Ralph. ;-)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile