[lbo-talk] Bush expected to announce candidacy any day now

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 05:02:06 PST 2004

Joseph Wanzala:

> If Bush wins, it will be against a Democrat who did
> not fundammentally disagree with him on important
> issues

So the attempt to destroy Medicaid by eventually turning it into a block-grant program like TANF (which I posted about yesterday) is not an important issue? Bush's support for school vouchers is not an important issue? Making the massive tax cuts for the rich permanent is not an important issue? Appointments to the NLRB and the courts are not important issues? OSHA and EPA enforcement are not important issues? Affirmative action is not an important issue?

I'm trying to get a sense of what people consider important here. If you've never been on Medicaid or known anyone who has, or you don't have to worry about your elderly mother getting bedsores because of woeful understaffing in a nursing home driven to near-bankruptcy because of Medicaid cuts, I suppose you wouldn't consider it an important issue. If you're not an African-American in the colony of the District of Colombia, whose kids are forced into a voucher program, maybe whether the public schools fall further prey to right-wing plots to systematically underfund them is really no concern of yours, perhaps?

More explanations of the relative importance people attach to these issues would be in order. I'm all ears.

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!