[lbo-talk] Support the Most Progressive Forces

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 18 08:41:32 PST 2004

John Adams wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 18, 2004, at 08:21 AM, John Lacny wrote:

> > I'll also repeat my earlier question to Yoshie:
> >
> > Have you ever walked a precinct?

I have -- Jan & I initiated the 1988 Jackson campaign in this Congressional district, and we wore ourselves out "walking the precinct" et cetera. We have also done a lot of other door-to-door work: e.g., circulating in a public housing unit a statement of solidarity with the people of El Salvador, circulating another statement of solidarity with the Bloomington teachers, a statement _much_ stronger than anything the teachers' union itself put out -- and we got a very positive respnse to it.

> I, too, am curious to hear the answer to this. Actually, I think I know
> the answer, and am curious to hear Yoshie's explanation of why not.

The arguments she has advanced stand on their own, regardless of her motives, character, et cetera. The fact that most of the responses to those arguments focus on Yoshie rather than the arguments suggests that no answer to her arguments exists, or people would be attacking the arguments, not Yoshie. In writing classes this sort of horseshit is called "poisoning the wells of discourse." It is the opposite of principled polemics.

How much door-to-door work have you done John?

Carrol