[lbo-talk] Re: What to do? (Was: Bush to Announce Candidacy)

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 18 11:10:13 PST 2004

Dear List:

Curtiss wrote:

> The least horrible route--which means it's still horrible--to me would be to get the military out ASAP and fund whatever rebuilding etc. through NGOs and the UN. "But wouldn't that mean Iraq would decend into civil war?" Maybe maybe maybe that could be prevented if we left a decent interim gov't in place.

My own instinct is that this is also the least horrible option, allowing, as you point out, the Iraqis to have their own couontry in their own hands as soon as possible.

Doug wrote:

> For the first six years after NAFTA took effect, U.S. employment rose (even in manufacturing for the first four years) and real wages rose, reversing 22 years of stagnation and/or decline. NAFTA has been a pretty bad deal for Mexico, but the effects on the U.S. (and Canada) are much harder to measure - good or bad. Anyone have evidence to the contrary?

Sorry. I thought it had also been a bad deal for U.S. employment. I did not know it had led to a rise in employment.

Brian Dauth Quer Buddhist Resister