[lbo-talk] Another Courageous Guerilla Assault Does ISO and ANSWER proud

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Feb 18 14:27:50 PST 2004

--Hari, one thing you have to understand is that for liberals in the
>belly of the empire,
>there is that constant guilt that comes with the burden of being a
>contributor to the war
>machine through taxes, etc. So, if they can find a way to assuage
>that guilt they grab at
>any chance. In this case, what better way to avoid the emotional
>discomfort of tens of
>thousands of unnecessary deaths from the invasion of Iraq than to
>focus on civilians
>killed in the aftermath of the war by the 'bad guys'? Ya see, we're
>not perfect, but *them
>guys* are Really BAD!!!
>Then we can come up with all kinds of fantasies, like 'maybe we can
>get the US gov't to
>do it better"..........there just has to be some way we can be the
>good guys after all....
>After all, we liberated the Germans and the Japanese don't forget!!

I'd be interested in your identifying who is taking this position. I can't think of too many members of this list who didn't treat the war on Iraq as a crime.

Doug

--i think the position I was referring to (which had nothing to do with whether or not the invasion of Iraq was a crime) is advocated by larkin, unless i'm misreading something in his responses to me...i didn't think of much anyone else outside of the person hari was responding to, thus his horror at my statement that the only deaths that matter in the US are those of American soldiers or that the deaths of American soldiers are the only reason the issue of Iraq remains controversial in the US...or a possible source of anti-war mobilisation in the US.....

steve