[lbo-talk] Re: Bush to Announce Candidacy Any Day

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 15:11:54 PST 2004

....but the US Trade Representative's office, as I point out again (below), makes no grand claim to having created jobs through NAFTA. How many of the 20 million jobs from the BLS data you cite can be attributed to NAFTA? I'm sure the people the EPI can make their arguments in support of their figures better than I can, my point, in citing both the EPI and USTR is that the jury is out. I htink the more fundamental question is whether one supports or accepts the ideological precepts of NAFTA and its wider negative impacts - on labor standards, the quality of jobs in Mexico and so on

http://www.ustr.gov/naftareport/q-a5.htm

Nothing in NAFTA directly creates or destroys jobs. NAFTA is not a work program. It merely creates opportunities for trade, which generates economic growth, which generates jobs (in the case of the United States that also happens to mean better jobs). Consequently, no easy method exists to calculate jobs created or lost.

Furthermore, a 1996 study by researchers at the University of California at Los Angeles.... concluded that "the impact on trade-related employment during the first three years after NAFTA is estimated to be, at the very least, a near zero net impact, and more likely, a moderately positive number."

....But Mark Anderson, an economist at the AFL-CIO, which had warned that the accord would cost the United States hundreds of thousands of jobs, said the last three years have confirmed the agreement's negative impact on American workers.

"Clearly the benefits, not so much of the agreement itself but of the economic relationship that the agreement solidified, went to corporate elites in the United States and Mexico," Anderson said. "From our perspective the job situation has been negative in the U.S. in terms of jobs lost or not created."

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/naftas.htm