[lbo-talk] Bush expected to announce candidacy any day

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Feb 18 14:42:42 PST 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Because it's deeply undemocratic - California has one senator per
> 17.6 million people; Wyoming, per 250,000 people, a ratio of over 70
> to 1. It was consciously designed as a conservatizing force - I think
> Jefferson described it as a kind of saucer meant to cool hot tea.

I don't understand the US domestic politics, but if the race relations and ethnicity are the principal props of the internal power structure (as it was contended in an earlier thread), then those perhaps should be the principal focus of the Left politics?

I am not suggesting that imperial adventures abroad should be forgotten. But why the US Left seems to be largely focused on Iraq etc.,if Imperialism is not the principal instrument of domestic social control?

Ulhas