[lbo-talk] Confronting the Political Right

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Thu Feb 19 13:18:29 PST 2004

Hi,

I certainly agree with Chuck0 that everyone on the left has to oppose the so-called "war on terrorism" as an attempt to craft a new "red menace." At the same time we should condemn all forms of tyranny. The irony is that some critics of Bush/Ashcroft political repression are on the political right. Politics does make strange bedfellows. I think we all need to keep doing our central political work, while also spending a little time building broad opposition to attempts to limit dissent. This means that in this narrow area of civil liberties, working with liberals, centrists, and even conservatives is a tactical necessity at this time.

Chip Berlet Senior Analyst Political Research Associates Webmaster http://www.publiceye.org