[lbo-talk] Freud

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:32:58 PST 2004

>From: "Michael Dawson -PSU" <mdawson at pdx.edu>
>
> > What does Freud have to do with "scientific knowlege"?
> >
> > Carl
>
>1. As Jared Diamond notes, he shattered the idea that conscious thought was
>all there is to the human psyche.

Izzat so? Here's a bit more of that Todd Dufresne LA Times article I cited initially:

"Then there is the theory of the unconscious, which has also seen better days. We all agree that Freud did not 'discover' the unconscious, and are sophisticated enough to see that it has a history that long predates him: as the devil that possessed Christians; as the mesmerism and hypnosis that invoked the split, double and multiple personalities of the 18th and 19th centuries; and as the theme of 'doubling' that informed much Victorian literature and, today, still informs the dumbest plot lines in Hollywood and in psychotherapy.

"Now connect the dots. In each iteration of the unconscious, some anointed medium — priest, quack or analyst — claims special access to the darkest, scariest reaches of our minds. For a certain price, he or she can cure you of this demon...."

<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-dufresne18feb18,1,5672071.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions>

And no, there's nothing "scientific" about Freud's own particular wooly-minded notions of the unconscious. He was truly a charlatan's charlatan.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200365ave/direct/01/