[lbo-talk] Re: RIP, Dr. Fraud

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 17:32:42 PST 2004

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Christian Gregory wrote:
>
>>And every time someone points out how ridiculous he was, someone (Doug, of
>>all people!) Freudianizes the effort: oh, you're trying to kill me, I must
>>be very radical/threatening/a limit object etc.
>
>Hey, I'm just drawing attention to the repeated attempts to bury the good
>doctor, which remind me very much of the repeated attempts to bury Marx. If
>either were really no damned good, or of so little importance, why the
>repeated attention?
>
>Doug

Allow me to take Yoshie's place in the penalty box as a repeat overposter today and observe that I do not view Freud and Marx as natural allies. AFAIC, the time individuals spend navel-gazing and twiddling with their own psyches is time lost for contemplating the evils of a society that twists people's minds and brings out their most neurotic inclinations. I'm also on record here as saying that I don't think much of anti-anxiety and anti-depressive drugs either -- all of which dull people's awareness that, hey, it's the *system* that's at fault. IMO, psychiatry is fundamentally bourgeoisie self-indulgence.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee when you click here. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963