[lbo-talk] the Dean effect

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Feb 19 19:09:23 PST 2004

At 2:50 PM -0500 18/2/04, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>Anybody But Bush!? Isn't that what we were sold back in 1992?
>
>And the 1990s saw the biggest upsurge in activism in a long long
>time - a lot of creative exciting stuff. I think there's a
>connection.

Even if we grant, for the sake of argument, that there is a connection, it cannot be assumed that the election of a Democrat president gave rise to the upsurge in activism. It might well be the other way around, that the upsurge in activism may have been a causal factor in the election of a Democrat president.

It has been argued by a few people that this has historically been the case. For some reason you assume the opposite, but I don't recall you explaining why.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas