[lbo-talk] the Dean effect

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Feb 19 20:12:30 PST 2004

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> But it would be strange if there was no connection between "the level of
> political activism" and who ultimately wins a political contest.
> Surely? Is it not possible that the "level of political activism" may
> have a bearing on the political contest to determine who occupies the
> White House? In which case your assertion that "there is no connection"
> may also be wrong?
>
> Doug may be wrong, in fact I am fairly sure he is. Because he assumes
> the connection is that who occupies the White House influences the level
> of political activism. Which seems to be putting the cart before the horse.
>
> Actually, the correct metaphor would be that Doug thinks the cart is
> pushing the horse. You on the other hand are insisting that there is no
> connection between the cart and the horse at all. I know you are both
> Americans, but this is ridiculous.

I will concede your point, because I thought about this later and it occured to me that some activists engage in self-policing behaviors based on their belief that who is in the White House matters. Kind of like the Boston Red Sox jinx becoming real for the Boston players because fans and media talk about it all the time.

I agree with you about Doug thinking the cart pushes the horse.

Chuck0