[lbo-talk] RE: Freud

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Feb 19 20:26:14 PST 2004

Carl writes:

"IMO, psychiatry is fundamentally bourgeoisie self-indulgence."

Self knowledge is not the same as navel gazing nor is it a form of bourgeois self-indulgence. Revolution guarantees nothing; as one Greek (Trotskyist) woman said to me, "Why do Trotskyists beat their wives?"

There is no question that much human misery is due to the kind of society in which we live. But to change that society and to create a new one that does not repeat the mistakes of the old -- even through reaction -- requires men and women who are capable of self-reflection and who wish to understand more than they wish to praise or blame.

Joanna