[lbo-talk] Re: RIP, Dr. Fraud

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 20 07:46:51 PST 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

>This is where my man R. W. Emerson comes in. I prescribe a hearty
>dose of self-reliance. On the journey of self-discovery, I don't
>think you need some kibitzer with a medical degree charging
>$100/hour to show the way. In fact, I think such practice is
>self-defeating because it causes you to doubt your own judgment and
>encourages protracted dependence on the aforesaid MD.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, the consummate American narcissist? The "transparent eyeball"? The one who awoke with a hunger so intense he could devour the universe? The fellow who asked "are they my poor?" The cold alien who could barely have a human relationship, who renamed his wife, who quit preaching because of an attack of hysterical blindness? He's a model? Nein danke.

Doug