[lbo-talk] Re: RIP, Dr. Fraud

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Feb 20 09:12:47 PST 2004

On Friday, February 20, 2004, at 09:27 AM, Dennis Perrin wrote:

> An ex-friend of mine is a psychiatrist, and I used to attend parties
> with
> MDs, dentists, and other professional med types. What a nasty crowd!
> Most
> were in it for the money, said awful things about their patients, drank
> heavily, did blow, speed (but little to no weed, I noticed -- too
> peaceful
> and introspective a drug?), fucked each other's wives, and all the
> rest.
> Some may have found it a swinging time, but I thought it was empty and
> horrid. Art and medicine do not mix!

Might it not be possible that this was a crowd of partying medics, not a truly representative sample? I don't go to parties with MDs, dentists, etc., so I don't know how the ones I have known behave at parties, if they have time for them, but the ones I have known seem to be pretty competent and pretty interested in their patients' welfare, on the whole.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt