[lbo-talk] NYC demo March 20

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 20 15:17:09 PST 2004

ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545 To subscribe, visit http://www.unitedforpeace.org/email =========================================== Good news! We have just finalized an agreement with the NYC Police Department for a permitted march and rally in New York City on Saturday, March 20th. Here are the details:

- 12 noon: ASSEMBLE on Madison Avenue from 23rd Street heading north alongside Madison Square Park. As we gather, a brief rally we be held on Madison Ave. - Approximately 1 pm: MARCH kicks off, going west on 23rd Street, north on 6th Avenue, east on 40th Street, and south on Madison Avenue back to Madison Square Park on 23rd Street. We’ll pass right through Herald Square, one of the busiest commercial districts in Manhattan on a Saturday afternoon! - Once back at 23rd Street and Madison Ave., we will have another rally.

Updated leaflets containing the location for the March 20 NYC protest are available on our website at: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=2238

We are very glad that logistics for the march have been nailed down so we can concentrate all of our energies on the organizing, turning out massive numbers of people on the one year anniversary of the start of the US war against Iraq.

The March 20th demo in NYC is shaping up to be a major East Coast regional mobilization. Recently, the Health and Hospital workers Local 1199/ SEIU, and Communications Workers of America, Local 1180—two unions that have strongly supported UFPJ actions in NYC in the past—joined the more than 400 groups and organizations that have endorsed UFPJ’s call! Buses are coming to NYC from throughout New England and upstate New York. Peace trains are coming from Connecticut, Long Island, and New Jersey, and elsewhere.

Be sure to regularly check our website at http://www.unitedforpeace.org/nyc for updates and more details. If you’re not already receiving our separate New York City action alerts, sign up at http://www.unitedforpeace.org/email

At http://www.unitedforpeace.org/nyc you’ll find downloadable NYC March 20 leaflets, plus a ride and housing board. You can also pick up leaflets and stickers at our New York City office during normal business hours: 351 W. 41st Street, 5th floor (between 8th & 9th Avenues), 212-868-5545.

The NYC demonstration is being sponsored jointly by a coalition organized by United for Peace and Justice and another coalition which includes ANSWER. We agreed to work together to make the March 20th march and rally in NYC the largest, strongest event possible. All of our groups are putting out our own leaflets and other organizing materials. UFPJ and its partners will host 50% of the rally time.

Let us know if you need any assistance with your own organizing efforts. If you can help with mobilizing efforts (phonebanking, distributing leaflets and stickers, getting your organization to endorse and mobilize, etc.) around the NYC area please call our office at 212-868-5545. We also need lots of volunteers for the demonstration itself. Sign up now by calling the office or by sending an email to nycvolunteers at unitedforpeace.org