[lbo-talk] McEntee: Dean is "nuts"

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sat Feb 21 12:07:40 PST 2004

John Lacny:
> Gee, let me tell you, I'm really looking forward to another abstract,
> half-informed, know-it-all discussion by know-nothings. I think it started
> with Munson's characteristically clear, crude, and doltish statement of
his
> inability to distinguish between unions' political action money and their
> general funds, and now continues with Michael Dawson's contention that he
is
> a "member" of the AFL-CIO, when no individual person is a member of the
> AFL-CIO, anywhere.

Thanks for the lecture about nothing, jerk. Nice distinction without a difference about AFL-CIO membership. Way to miss the point about the use of "political" money -- golly, I hear they call it "COPE" money, but since I'm an abstract leftist who doesn't have John's struggle credentials (according to John), I must be mistaken.

I know every single thing you think you're pointing out to me. When I speak of rank-and-file election of delegates and officers, I speak of that at all levels. I'm not stupid. I know that reform within particular unions is the key. In fact, I've been to several AFT conventions to try to push for that. Each time, the reigning elite squelches the topic before it even gets to the floor of the convention as an issue for debate. They don't even allow discussion of discussion of the topic.

Locals are democratic, but that's where it stops.

Meanwhile, save your pontificating lectures for yourself. The AFL-CIO has been diseased since 1947. Nothing of substance has changed.