[lbo-talk] McEntee: Dean is "nuts"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 21 12:23:45 PST 2004

Michael Dawson wrote:

> Meanwhile, save your pontificating lectures for yourself. The AFL-CIO has
> been diseased since 1947. Nothing of substance has changed.

Always good to find a point of agreement, though I'm not sure but what I would put the date somewhat earlier when the CIO leadership went out of its way to put a stop to bi-racial organizing in Memphis. Could you explain your choice of 1947. Was that the year Reuthers defeated Thomas with a red-baiting campaign. (From the sidelines I rooted for Reuther at the time, learning later.) Or is your reference to the union's general cooperation with enforcing the anti-red provisions of Taft-Hartley, or its failure to fight in the streets against the anti-secondary boycott provisions?

Carrol