[lbo-talk] RE: sexual harrassment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 22 13:17:42 PST 2004

joanna bujes wrote:

>"Both Doug and Joanna cite comments of the kind 'you're only here
>because of your sex' at universities as evidence of sexual
>harrassment."
>
>It is sexual harrassment. It is the assertion that you do not
>deserve your appointment, that it was made solely because of your
>sex.

That wasn't my argument. I cited the story as proof that even white guys who think themselves enlightened, such as myself, still don't have access to the experience of people who are insulted or otherwise wounded because of race and/or sex. And the taunts in this case were more because of her race (black-skinned Dominican) rather than sex.

Doug