[lbo-talk] sexual harrassment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 22 18:31:20 PST 2004

Stephen E Philion wrote:

>however, wasn't the original remark commented on 'you're only here
>because of affirmative action?'and unrelated to gender?

RIght. It was an instance of pervasive racial taunting of a dark-skinned Dominican at Harvard Law School. I was shocked that Harvard students didn't even pretend to be tolerant and inclusive, but instead were overtly and frequently racist. I'd thought they would have paid more tribute to virtue. I brought up the anecdote because it showed that even well-informed white folks don't have direct access to the daily experience of nonwhite people - the point being that men, even someone as all-knowing as Frank Scott, are probably not the best-informed commentators on sexual harassment either.

Doug