[lbo-talk] sexual harrassment/racism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 18:50:01 PST 2004

Racial harassment is also actionable on the job under a parallel showing to sexual harsasment.

My daughter, who attents an rather elite private arts high school in Chicago, reports a shockingly high level of racism and antisemitism abong the students and at least one faculty member, as well as an amazing lack of sensiivity and common sense.

Just lately, one student stated to her that the Holocaust was fiction; another, in class,. asked why do we have Back History Month and and not White History Month?; students (instigated by a parent volunteer, were making fun of "Chassic diamond merchants," talking in fake Yiddish accents; a teacher recommend Gibsan's The Passion of the Christ and responded to my daughters angery retort about the blood libel by stating that "that's just an opinion;" the same teacher, challenged as to why he had no black authors in hsi literature curriculum, said taht maybe they could work in one black writer some time this month before going back to "the regular program." Etc. Apparently years of Republican has lowered the bar about what's acceoptable among the upper classes . . .

jks