[lbo-talk] Re: Rwandan massacres not racist?

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Mon Feb 23 06:38:19 PST 2004

As I just said to Chris, perhaps we need a word like "culturism" or "ethnicism", but we don't have such a word as yet. regards, Grant.

I continue to wonder though if these different sorts of prejudice and bigotry are all similar or different in origin.

European racism, at least, was originally based on a biological theory. I wonder how many Western Europeans regard Slavs, for example, as being of another 'race'. The paradigm case may be anti-Semiticism, but it is also in some ways the most perplexing, since it is never clear whether what is at stake is a religion, a 'race or a culture. As I mentioned last year some time on this list, I just don't know what a Jew is. I don't understand why a non-religious Jew should be called a Jew; I have trouble accepting that Jews are a 'race', when Jews appear to range in physical type from black Africans to swarthy Middle Easterners to decidely pale Eastern Europeans; and I similarly wonder about the idea of a common culture of world Jewry.

But my main point I guess is that racism is something more specific than simply bigotry or prejudice. Let's remember how the recent debate started - it was about 'people of colour', not 'people of culture'! But I agree that that leaves many other questions of attitude and perception unexplained.

Tahir