[lbo-talk] the other L word

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Feb 23 15:49:05 PST 2004

doug wrote: And should Ralph throw the election to W, I'm hoping the invitations to the special satellite Green Party at the Inauguaral Ball will include you, so you can report back to us on the food & drink. Will it be Lone Star beer and ribs, or will the WH make special accomodation to the vegans

--doug, i'm wondering what you think of the contention by Nader, as he put it today on Dem.now to A. goodman, that he's basically running to keep the fire on the dem candidate(s) kerry/edwards (presuming edwards gets the vp slot). it seems that his candidacy, if you can call it that, is not really geared to winning lots of votes as opposed to simply keeping the heat on Kerry to not move to the right over the campaign. If that is the case, in a sense Nader might actually end up helping bring more votes to Kerry if he pushes him to the left and actually motivates those who wouldn't want to vote for him in the traditional base of the dem. party.

I hadn't really heard much from Nader about why he's running and I don't watch CNN or the other cable shows generally, so this was my first time hearing him explain his motives. Seemed somewhat like something that actually the left could support, namely a campaign that doesn't seek votes as much as just keeping the fire to the friggin robots running for the dems...(outside of kucinich, who's not a robot...).

It's odd to me that people aren't seeing this aspect of his 'campaign' as something positive for the dems and the left.

steve