[lbo-talk] gentrification

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Feb 24 09:28:41 PST 2004

>>RE: [lbo-talk] "The City" Lectures: NEIL SMITH - "The Gentrified
Future: New Globalism, New Urbanism" >>>

Can anyone explain to me why the US leftoids are so afraid of urban development? Do these guys really think that the US cities are in such a great shape that they do not need any improvements? Or do they think that suburban life style is the best thing since toilet paper (along the lines "small is beautiful" and kindred variety of BS)? Or are they simply pulling a Nader along the lines "to spite my allies I will help a crypto-Nazi foe getting elected?"

One would think that attracting people with income to cities, and thus increasing the tax base to pay for much needed public services such as transit or education, is a very progressive thing to do, but evidently it is not to some leftoids. Why? What is it that I am missing?

PS. Please, spare me the bullshit about "vibrant communities" and "negro removal" - I know better than that - I lived in the bowels of Baltimore longer than in any other location since I left my parent's home in 1971.

Wojtek