[lbo-talk] gentrification

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 24 09:34:54 PST 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> >>RE: [lbo-talk] "The City" Lectures: NEIL SMITH - "The Gentrified
>Future: New Globalism, New Urbanism" >>>
>
>Can anyone explain to me why the US leftoids are so afraid of urban
>development?

It depends on what you mean by development. I doubt that Neil would oppose improving the urban physical infrastructure or raising the income of city residents. The problem is that "gentrification" usually displaces poorer people, making room for richer ones. The whole process is typically directed by planning agencies under the control of financiers & developers.

Doug