[lbo-talk] Re: ...where angels fear to tread (was Wolf v Bloom)

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Wed Feb 25 07:04:28 PST 2004

From: <heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> What about Camille Paglia? John Lacny doesn't like her books. I did flick through Sexual Personae some years back, and certainly its a work of literary criticism rather than social science, and one that makes some big imaginative leaps. But its certainly spirited and witty. Criticism would be poorer without it.

I agree. Also I like the way she rips into academic fads and their professionalisation. I particularly liked her piece called "Junk bonds and corporate raiders" or something like that. Her statement there that it would not be possible to be polite when dissing the claims of poststructuralism seemed to me to be entirely appropriate. I'm prepared to forgive her for a lot (and there's a lot to forgive) for writing things like that. And I was absolutely astounded to learn of her friendship with Gillian Rose, whom I'd deeply admired for some years before I read or even heard of Paglia. Rose writes some interesting pages about Paglia in her very beautiful last book Love's Work, written when she was dying of cancer. But I'm not sure what the two of them had in common besides their dislike of poststructuralism - Rose's extended critique in Dialectic of Nihilism: Poststructuralism and Law is very academic and philosophical in comparison to Paglia's rant. I'm glad to have read both of them. Tahir