[lbo-talk] Iraqi union label:An interview with David Bacon

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Feb 25 07:34:43 PST 2004

Iraqi union label:

An interview with David Bacon

February 21, 2004

America is today, as it has been throughout nearly all of its history, a nation at war overseas, as well as against elements of its own population.

Activists like California-based David Bacon, and organizations such as the one to which he belongs, U.S. Labour Against the War (USLAW) are, in terms of the Bush Doctrine, enemy elements within enemy elements. Seven Oaks Charles Demers recently sat down with Mr. Bacon at the Canadian Autoworkers hall in New Westminster.

SEVEN OAKS: You were recently on a delegation to Iraq?

BACON: Yes. I went with the former secretary-treasurer of the San Francisco longshore union, Clarence Thomas. The two of us were sent by U.S. Labor Against the War to go to Iraq in October, make contact with the new unions that have been organising there and find out about the conditions of work, and the wages, and the general condition of Iraqi workers under the occupation.

S.O.: Thats not the Clarence Thomas that Canadian readers will think youre talking about?

BACON: No, we call Clarence the real Clarence Thomas.

Full at: www.SevenOaksMag.com