[lbo-talk] Left Behind: Nader numbers

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Feb 25 08:06:18 PST 2004

John Lacny wrote:

> Lance Murdoch:
>

>>Exit polls show that Nader got more votes from
>>people who would have voted for Bush or who
>>wouldn't have voted than who would have voted
>>for Gore if he hadn't run. Anyhow, he took
>>1.4% of eligible voters. 48.7% of eligible voters
>>did not vote
>

> And the point is, we need as many of those people as possible to come out and vote to actually defeat the Bush regime. That is, defeat it in real life, not just "send a message" so that those who voted for Nader can feel good about themselves even as the gaggle of New Right fanatics maintains control over the reins of power and proceeds to destroy Medicaid and Medicare, and then move on to Social Security. These are real threats; this is not some silly little game.

Mickey Z. published an article yesterday that has been the best so far in sinking the Anbody But Bush ship. The liberals and progressives who push this line are going to end up creating hard divisions within the left, as many of us are intelligent to see through these arguments. The fact remains that the Democrats are pretty much the same thing as the Republicans. The hysteria about defeating Bush is just hypocritical. If one looks at all the reasons why the ABB crowd raises as reasons to defeat Bush, one can pick through them and see the blatant contradictions. Oppose the Iraq invasion and occupation? Kerry greenlighted Bush's course of action. Bush will set back gay rights and reproductive rights? It looks to most of us like gay rights have been advanced despite who was in the White House. And Clinton didn't exactly throw up any roadblocks to stop Republican assaults on reproductive rights. The mixing of state and religion? That increased during Clinton's regime and there is news this morning that a conservative Supreme Court ruled against religious scholarships.

The ABB line of thinking is hysterical, hypocritical and reactionary.

Trusting Democrats: A Familiar Trap By Mickey Z. http://www.pressaction.com/pablog/archives/001328.html#001328

Chuck0