[lbo-talk] RE: Where do republican presidents come from

Will Thurber wthurber at taro.bus.BrockU.CA
Wed Feb 25 15:36:14 PST 2004

>The counterfactual eludes me. If no Dem is ever elected, do the Reps
>get worse on their own? Do they somehow improve? Or would the masses
>finally congeal into a mighty revolutionary force? If Ford had won in
>'76, would a red flag be flying over 1600?
>
>Doug

This is fun intellectual masturbation...

If Bobby Kennedy is not gunned down in LA, does Carter beat Reagan in '76, or does carter lose the nomination to the Democratic VP of the day? If he wins, does Reagan have to deal with the same economic fundamentals that lead to Carter's defeat in '80? Would Reagan have appointed Volker?? Would it be Tsongas or Udall in '80??

In the meantime, let's back anybody on the Democratic side to prevent the otherwise inevitable theocratization of the USSC!! Head Mullah Scalia, anyone????

--Will