[lbo-talk] over-the-counter-culture [was: Boom Box Aggression

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 26 07:59:39 PST 2004

Wojtek said:

> I spent much of my life in the company of unpublished writers and poets
> who blame their failure on "the system." It never occurred to them that
> their "art" sucked. The only advise I can offer in such circumstances
> is "get another job."

One could just as easily say: "since US popular culture obviously disagrees with you so much, leave the US and/or quit whining".

> Ps. I see that in the new brave world of McMusic, a kid who can play
> three notes and push a few computer buttons is not a taylorised-down
> musical assembly line worker, while a classically trained musician with
> years of rigorous training and experience is.

You may not like it, but that is essentially and increasingly correct (apart from the inane characterisation of electronic music). And there is a lot more to music --- or any other art form for that matter --- than ability, technique and tradition.