[lbo-talk] Fox News Analyst: Gibson's "Passion" is Anti-Semitic

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Feb 27 07:00:06 PST 2004

On Thursday, February 26, 2004, at 11:05 AM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> That was not the position of the Roman church even before Vatican II.
> (For
> the ecclesiastical-minded, see DS 3866-3873.) --CGE

Yes, of course, good ol' Mel doesn't understand all the subtleties of the official Catholic position on "nulla salus." But the nub of the question is that, like all conservatives/reactionaries, he and the other traditionalists are trying to bring back a "good old days" that never existed except in their imaginations.

The important issue in this particular case, I think, is that he is perfectly willing to consign his life's companion, Ms. Gibson, to hell because of his religious ideology (whether or not it correctly reflects the teaching of Rome). I think that speaks volumes for his sense of humanity.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org ____________________________ Such is our pride, our folly, or our fate, That few, but such as cannot write, translate.

-- Sir John Nenham (1615-1669), To Richard Fanshaw (c. 1643)