[lbo-talk] Savior Of Color

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 08:22:37 PST 2004

Dennis Perrin wrote:

Well, I think I've read all 4,736 articles on Gibson's flick, but this, written by Thomas C. Mountain, is perhaps the dumbest. And it appeared on Counterpunch -- what a coincidence!

from counterpunch...

"A white Jesus during Black History Month? I find it more than a little ironic that during February, Black History Month, we are being bombarded with images of a white Jesus in the trailers for Mel Gibson's film.

=============================

This takes me back.

As a teen, I attended a very conservative Black protestant church. Most people believe the normal mode for Black churches is the highly emotional worship style of some Southern Baptists or, more to the point, Pentecostals. The fact is, quite a few of the larger churches are as dull as films 'edited for television'.

During one summer I met Dan, an enterprising fellow, a 'deep brutha', a man on the move.

Dan had, what to him, was a radical idea: he would sell illustrated Bibles featuring a Black Jesus. Not only would this provide him with a handsome income (he hoped) but also 'strengthen the self-image of Black men.'

Even as an 18 year old, I didn't think this was a particularly useful idea (in fact, I was beginning to question the usefulness of the theist view of things altogether).

Dan saw this as a challenge and decided he had to sell me one of these 'Afro-centric' Bibles which 'set the visual record straight'.

His sales technique was simple: my self-esteem was low because I'd been bombarded with images of a blue-eyed, clearly Euro Jesus. If this was undone, if I could see that the savior of makind was a Black man, I'd hold my head up high and achieve a position on the board of directors of Coca Cola at some point in the future.

When I counter-argued my self-esteem at that particular moment was under greater attack from super-fine Theresa's refusal to acknowledge my (still developing) advances than the lack of a mocha Christ he was amused and deeply sympathetic but unconvinced. Black Jesus = self esteem. Self esteem = success.

It was that simple.

Sorry to learn this knumbskullery is still with us.

DRM