[lbo-talk] Re: LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Feb 28 11:05:05 PST 2004

John Lacny wrote:

> I should also point out that when I wrote that there are legitimate
> questions that could be raised about the union's strategy here, I did not
> intend that Chuck Munson should weigh in with his "thinking." Maybe more
> civil disobedience would have been appropriate. Indeed, I'm inclined to
> think it would have, and the union could have been prepared (as the
> janitors' union has always been prepared) to pay fines and legal costs, and
> also make use of political relationships, etc. Munson grunts that they
> should have been doing civil disobedience in front of Wal-Mart, though if he
> has any conception of how this would have fit into a larger strategy, I
> would be very surprised indeed.

I'm going to weigh in with my opinion both as an unemployed worker and longtime organizer.

I'm not up to speed on the nature of the unions fucking up this strike, but I'll take Mike's assessment as a good measuring stick for what's going on: basically organized labor shafting workers through timidity, bureacracy, middle class liberal self-interest, and a sucking vacuum where a strategy should be.

You ain't going to win anything if you don't risk anything.

Chuck0