[lbo-talk] Savior of Color

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 13:09:03 PST 2004

Well, I said that I have no prob with Black (etc) Jesus, but CB tells me off about it anyway, as if I hadn't heard about such an historical idea before, or as if Mountain was on to something original. Or whatever. And forget about trying to think past the "of color" crap -- why, insisting that we are all one race is . . . is . . . racism itself! Any intelligent pwog will tell you!

For CB, such insistence is "arrogance," because my skin isn't as dark as his. Now, if I played the part of the Guilty White Pwog who condescends and patronizes in order to score ideological points, maybe CB would be more forgiving. Maybe. 'Course, I'd still be a racist swine under it all, but at least I wouldn't be questioning CB's ideological attachment to empty phrases, which is, as we've seen, overt racism.

Charles, if you feel empowered by employing a variation of Colored People, your choice. I say that the majority of problems discussed here stem from class, not pigment, though there are connections b/w the two, obviously. But this belief in Pigment Explains Everything, and that some pigments are more righteous than others strikes me as, oh what's the word . . . ?

As for the Detroit v. Ann Arbor jab, CB has used this before, and it's another form of pigment-baiting that CB specializes in. But CB surely knows that various pigments and nationalities live in A2, oftentimes right next door to each other! Far from whatever fantasy CB has of my existence, I reside in a very mixed, working class neighborhood. And in the time I've been here, I haven't noticed extremely different behavior from those with different hues. My neighbors seem focused on human concerns, of which pigment bias is a part, but not the sole problem, and in this part of town, not even a ranking one.

Dof P