[lbo-talk] Savior of Color

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Sat Feb 28 11:41:20 PST 2004

From: "Dennis Perrin"

The article is dumb because Mountain's "analysis" is so poor. I've nothing against the concept/fact of a Black Jesus, Brown Jesus, Your-Favorite-Pigment-Here Jesus, but Mountain ain't the guy to write about it. Plus, as I've posted before, I truly despise this "People of Color" nonsense. The absurdity of the phrase should be, I would think, immediately evident to self-styled "progressives," but, well, y'know how it goes in our grotto.

^^^^^ CB: Here in Detroit ,just 50 miles from Dennis in Ann Arbor, we have The Shrine of the Black Madonna, and, Wojtek may be able to confirm a Black Madonna tradition in Poland. Also, there is a statue of Jesus in front of a Catholic seminary here that was white (literally) and was painted black faced during the 1967 civil insurrection ,and was left black to this day. The Catholic priests there have more sense about race and racism than some "leftists" in our grotto...I'm starting to think Dennis might be "colored" as that category was used in South Africa.

Or is this accurate : Dennis is a white ( of European descent) person who truly despises this usage of "People of Color" as "nonsense" because "white" people don't really have literally white skin ? If so, I'd think that most actually progressive people would immediately think " this is a kind of racist, ain't it ? Who is this arrogant so-and-so ? No, it is not at all evident that the use of "people of color" is absurd. What is absurd is to get hungup on the fact that white people's skin color is not really exactly white. That's a diversion from fighting racism "

The "white and colors" system ( race) was originated by white people as they conquered the world substantially over the last 500 years . It is as follows: White = of European descent; Of Color = Of African, Asian, Native American, or Oceanian descent. With that dominant power, white people have actualized _their_ color scheme classification of people in social, political and economic reality. That is, in general , white people are privileged relative to the various peoples of color, using those terms as defined by white people long ago. Therefore , people of color, in using that self-reference, are merely dealing with soc-pol-econ reality as it is, as the best way, not to preserve it , but change it, in the sense that you have to deal with the way things actually are in order to change them. What is dumb or playing dumb is to not get this.