[lbo-talk] LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?

Lance Murdoch lbotalk at lancemurdoch.org
Sat Feb 28 14:44:35 PST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, mike larkin wrote:

> from a post on Left Hook by a michael schwartz. I was
> wondering about this myself. I posted stuff about it
> here and elsewhere, and no one seemed to give a fuck.
> No wonder they (we) lost.

This list doesn't seem to have much interest in that sort of thing I've found. There are other lists which have more interest in this sort of thing.

One thing is there is not much that can be done outside of Southern California. I've also found groups like Jobs for Justice, or Workers Solidarity alliance and so forth not the easiest to get an answer from, and when you do you don't hear much. There was a rally in New York but I didn't hear about it until afterward. I sent a small amount to UFCW's strike fund. I also talked down Safeway stock on stock message boards, which may be futile but who knows. The ability to do anything outside of Southern California is more limited. And we have our own things going on here like a HERE strike at the Grand Central station Oyster bar.

-- Lance