[lbo-talk] LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 23:55:18 PST 2004

from a post on Left Hook by a michael schwartz. I was wondering about this myself. I posted stuff about it here and elsewhere, and no one seemed to give a fuck. No wonder they (we) lost.

"It broke my heart to see how uninvolved the left was in this strike. When I go to a Mumia demonstration of 200 people every left group is there. When 59,000 workers are mobolized on 500 picket lines throughout Southern California the left is nowhere to be seen. Has it really come to this? In the 1930s the left was synonymous with the working class. I know we're small today, I know we can't dictate what happens in these struggles. But I met workers in this fight who are true fighters. Tens of thousands of them stuck it out for 140 fucking days!!!!! It was the longest strike in Southern California since World War Two. We always talk about how one day the workers will stand up and fight. Then...when it actually happens we act like it's a story that belongs on the last page of the paper. Workers throughout Southern California were tlaking about this strike and I know workers elsewhere were as well."