[lbo-talk] Liu on outsourcing

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Feb 28 20:45:14 PST 2004

>Is there any support for these numbers?

Of course not--they are pure fiction. For imports to add to the real GDP of an economy they must a) be primary or intermediate products and b) be priced so low that the final products into which they are transformed can be profitably exported; or else they must be primary or intermediate peoducts that cannot be produced domestically and therefore are needed for the domestic production of consumable or capitalizable final products for the domestic economy. If any Chinese imports into the US fit into either of these categories they must represent only a tiny percentage of the total imports.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)