[lbo-talk] Re: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 2, Issue 256

Brad Mayer Bradley.Mayer at Sun.COM
Sun Feb 29 12:28:00 PST 2004

I'll try to be brief on just this one point:

Charles Jannuzi wrote:

> The Dems are going to lose the election because they will pick Kerry or
> Kerry plus Edwards (to talk humble pie and cornpone down South) and most
> Americans deep down won't see the difference from what they've already got,
> or, if they do see a difference, they won't want to admit they voted for a
> dipshit in 2000.

On the contrary, they can win if they make a solid appeal, based on the current burning issues - especially the jobless "recovery" and the jobs going overseas stuff - to the swing vote. Nobody's going to remember that Clinton gave them NAFTA, because the Repubs won't remind them, because they are the ones who Bagged It For Bill when a majority of "his own party" opposed it. They need to unite "swing" concern over the economy with ruling class concern over the ****** up mess Bush has made of foreign policy.

If Kerry and Whatever _don't_ do this - don't appeal to the "swing", but instead attempt one of these fake left-populist Gore-style moves that delusional "The Nation" loonies luv so much, then that is the sign that they intend to lose. As Gore intended to do in 2000, IMO. The upchuck from the economic mess that Clinton/Rubin/Greenspan built was already well underway by the Fall of 2000, and the Dems didn't want to be caught holding that particular barf bag. With Upchuck II apparently on the way as the "sustainable recovery" shows preliminary signs of stalling, I don't think they - and most of the US ruling class - don't want them to be holding it this time, either. Better to have a disposible Bush, Side B, to trash _after_ the election is out of the way. I suspect that many in our ruling class must be disturbed by the mess Bush has made of their foriegn policy - alienating everybody and promoting the deepest anti-american backlash in history, but one hears no orchestrated campaign against Bush at _this_ time. (Cheney is another matter). But I see lots of preparations for doing the Boy Emperor in, later. Ruling class instinctively does not want to upset the masses going into an election - why would they want to do that?!?

Bush will have to make an obvious blunder to cause them to do otherwise.

-Brad Mayer