[lbo-talk] Re: LA Grocery Strike: Where Was the Left?

rw refrigeratorwoman at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 29 16:15:45 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 23:47, Chuck0 wrote:

> The IAC "lucked out" and had a press conference before 9-11. The MGJ and
> ACC had press conferences planned, but 9-11 threw a wrench into
> everything. The ACC met after 9-11 and decided to go ahead with an
> anti-capitalist anti-war protest. But when the Mobilization for Global
> Justice met, the activists in that group were confronted with an
> orchestrated behind-the-scenes effort by organized labor and the NGOs to
> make sure that NO protest happened. The rank-and-file activists in the
> MGJ wanted to shift gears and do an anti-war protest, but the
> organization was forced by professional activists into cancelling the
> protests. When the cancellation was made public, this had a deleterious
> effect on the ACC mobilization. Not only did people get the impression
> that the protests had been called off, but groups that were organizing
> buses cancelled their plans. In several cities, such as Chicago, people
> who were supporting the ACC and MGJ were sharing plans. As a result,
> when the ACC held the *first* national protest against the war in late
> September, we could only turn out 2000 into the streets.

So if I get what you're saying, Chuck, your superfly anarchist, decentralized, "democratic" way of organizing was incapable of dealing with the wave of reaction that followed 9/11, while those evil reds and their crusty old democratic centralism took the lead.

You talk about what your group could have done. You talk about what the grocery workers should have done. And you blame the reds for what you didn't do. I have to conclude that you're nothing but a windbag.