[lbo-talk] Haiti Coup

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 29 19:32:10 PST 2004

Good question - can't say that I know what the specific reasons are, other than offer the usual lamentations about American Imperialism etc.

I will speculate that it probably also has to do with sending a message to all other rel and imagined opponents of the US in Latin America, specifically Cuba and Venezuela (Chavez offered support to Aristide in the event of US intervention) and to some extent Brazil and Argentina. Beyond that, I would point to the influence of the Haitian and Hatian American business community and US corporations that value Haiti as a source of cheap labor.

It is also worth noting that Aristide's tenure in office has been problematic and also worth exploring the historical reasons why.....